Mr. Bogart's English Class
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F.2 Do you feel sorry for Stanley?

+5
selinama
shanahly Wan
eloisa
peggyme
Mr.Bogart
9 posters

Go down

F.2 Do you feel sorry for Stanley? Empty F.2 Do you feel sorry for Stanley?

Post  Mr.Bogart Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:49 pm

Stanley has had a hard life. His family was rich but were robbed, his grandfather was a mess, and he is implicated in a crime that he is innocent of but he seems to be happy to go to his juvenile work camp to dig holes. Do you find this strange? Why is he like this?
Mr.Bogart
Mr.Bogart
Admin

https://bogart.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

F.2 Do you feel sorry for Stanley? Empty Re: F.2 Do you feel sorry for Stanley?

Post  peggyme Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:08 pm

I feel sorry for Stanley! He could of lived in a rich family with comfertable surroundings instead of living in a small apartment and his family isn't very good. I thought he was happy to go to the juvenile work camp to dig holes because he wanted to escape from the life he has now and just take a break. Stanley is so sick of his life now that he even doesn't care if hes going to a juvenile work camp, he is just escaping life because he doesn't like it. I find this very strange because why would someone want to dig holes in some wasteland? Unless theres someting very valueable under all those dirt that the Warden is trying to find. Or maybe the wasteland is a place where the government wants to use and they are digging holes because the Warden got orders from the government. Still, why wouldn't they use machines? To me, digging holes doesn't let Stanley and the other people know what they did wrong. This is sounding a bit crazy!
peggyme
peggyme

Back to top Go down

Post  eloisa Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:16 am

do i feel sorry for stanley? not really. though he has a somewhat weird personality, it's a good change from the "normal" personalities we see in most books. usually when characters are put in difficult situations or when things start to go bad, they give up and wallow in self-pity. his personality keeps him going. if he ended up like that, there might not be a story at all. though there's a lot of misfortunes that they have experienced, it all adds up. and i think, deep inside, stanley's just a little boy who finds himself in the Yelnats family. he's a kid who grew up learning what's right and what's not. it's probably by habit that he's polite. (like saying thanks for the ride) and his "positive thinking" might probably be a way that he deals with the things that happen in his life. honestly, i like stanley and i think he's a pretty brave guy.

eloisa

Back to top Go down

Post  shanahly Wan Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:01 pm

Mr.Bogart wrote:Stanley has had a hard life. His family was rich but were robbed, his grandfather was a mess, and he is implicated in a crime that he is innocent of but he seems to be happy to go to his juvenile work camp to dig holes. Do you find this strange? Why is he like this?
I thinks that he is very poor. He had a sad childhood. He was innocent to the crime. He just appeared in a wrong place at the wrong time.

shanahly Wan

Back to top Go down

Post  selinama Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:38 pm

Actually he is just in a wrong place at a wrong time which made he to be in Camp Green Lake. Surprised But he is very poor because his father is kind of crazy and his grandfather and his "no-good-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather'. Besides, he is always bullied by the classmates. So I guess he is kind of a slug in the others eyes.

selinama

http://www.xanga.com/satanangelselina

Back to top Go down

Post  steff.w. Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:00 pm

Truthfully, i'd have to say no. It's not that i have anything against him (at least i don't think so), it's just that he's a bit too naive to my liking and is pretty much a pushover in my suggestion.
He should really try standing up for himself and just stop pretending that everything's gona be perfect and that everone in the world is all trusting and kind.
If i ever meet him i'd tell him to get a grip and just snap out of the illusion that everything's just fine and dandy.
steff.w.
steff.w.

Back to top Go down

Post  Christy Wong Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:01 pm

Well, in my own opinion, I really feel sorry for Stanley.
Firstly, he should be born in a wealthy family, who is now living in a house near the beach. But then unfortunately, his great-grandfather was robbed by Kissin' Kate Barlow. So his whole family were now all living in a very small apartment. This is one of the things that I take pity on him.
Secondly, he was arrested because of stealing a pair of shoes and was declared guilty by the judge just because of a poster in his bedroom. That's absolutely ridiculous!!! It's so unfair to Stanley. He was inncocent actually!!! Evil or Very Mad
There are really too many unfortunate things happened to Stanley that I can't finish. I really feel sorry to him when I am reading the book.
I love Stanley Yelnats this character very much and that's all because of his misfotune. Haa..... Laughing
Christy Wong
Christy Wong

Back to top Go down

Post  Janice_C Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:24 pm

Well, after I've read the whole book, I have to say "no". Altough it was really hard to dig such a big holes per day, but at last he have change his destiny by his own hand! He is not the loser anymore!
Janice_C
Janice_C

Back to top Go down

Post  English Addict - Helen Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:06 pm

Yes, I feel sorry for Stanley. Originally, he can live in a wealthy family, because his great-grandfather had made a fortune in the stock market, but unfortunately he is robbed by a famous outlaw - Kissin' Kate Barlow. Then, He was accused because he stole a pair of famous sneakers, but he was totally innocent. After that, he had came to Camp Green Lake which is more worse than jail and have an uneasy life there. I really really really feel sorry for Stanley. His character was so unfortunate!!! Such a poor little guy!
English Addict - Helen
English Addict - Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down