Mr. Bogart's English Class
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lost!

+24
wen828
Gloria.C
Purple Fok
steff.w.
Jasmine_Tong
Chloe Audrey
annabelle_bao
Melody Ng
michellelam
peggyme
Janice_C
MichelleWoo*:]
Jessica Chan Chan
3bechiu
cherieee
marina*
Sibyl Wong
hingis=]
joyce
VANessaKAn
jelly=]
English Addict - Helen
Mr.Bogart
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lost! Empty Lost!

Post  Mr.Bogart Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:06 pm

What do you think about Charlie? What about the effectiveness of flashbacks?
Mr.Bogart
Mr.Bogart
Admin

https://bogart.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Lost! Empty Re: Lost!

Post  English Addict - Helen Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:25 am

Wow! Lost is really excited! Charlie.... I think death is destinated for Charlie, though Des had already saved his life for many times, he finally need to die in order to rescue his wife, child and the others. I think this is really touching, he would rather choose to die and rescue other people life! Also, the conversations he told lies to his wife and told her not to worry about him after he gone, it's.... really really touching. Athough we haven't yet finish the movie and we actually don't know about the ending, but I guess it will be really really touching....

For flashback, I think that it is important to tell us about the past in order to know more about the present like Charlie was telling the five most important things in his life... On the other hand, I wonder that isn't it a flash-forward because Desmond can see the future??

My mum had seen this movie before, but she told me that it was boring, but after yesterday's lesson, I don't think so. I will try to persuade my mother to buy me a set of LOST!! ^^
English Addict - Helen
English Addict - Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  jelly=] Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:34 pm

Lost is a great movie! Charlie is brave! And he is a hero! He sacrifices his life so as to save others' lives, and i think that it must not be easy to make up such a big decision!
jelly=]
jelly=]

Back to top Go down

Post  English Addict - Helen Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:50 pm

Charlie finally need to die... Crying or Very sad It was quite sad, right?? I think Charlie was.... mighty!! He sacrifice himself in order to rescue Claire, her son, Hurley, Desmond and other people.... As Mr. Bogart said today, a good question that why don't Charlie let Desmond go inside the room?? Why did he close the door?? If he didn't close the door, he can save his life!!!! But there are also a good answer that I do also agree with. Charlie knew that he is destinated to die, no one can take his place, and he need Desmond to give the paper of the five important things to Claire (but an interesting thing I want to ask, Desmond also drived into the water, will Charlie's paper get wet??? hehe ^^), also, the most touching one is that, he knew that he must die in order to rescue everybody included Claire, her son, Hurley...... As I thought, it was really really touching... wanna to cry at the moment he is going to die......
I really really really want to know the ending of it, what happened to Desmond?? What happened to Claire?? What happened to her son?? Charlie's ring??? And how was Charlie and other people reaction of his death???? I really want to know. Anyone have already seen the ending????? Or maybe I'll buy a set of lost!!!!! It's really exciting...

I also agree that the flashback is powerful, really really powerful, it enrichs the story and .... anyway, it is really powerful. I think I'll be more focus on the flashback in The Star of Kazan!!!
English Addict - Helen
English Addict - Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  VANessaKAn Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:56 pm

I think LOST is a very awesome TV series. I like to watch it and it is very excited. I'd to continue to watch it with my friends but not alone. Some parts of it is a bit scary.
I think that Charlie shouldn't die at last . Coz Claire will worry about him though Charlie asked her not to. Des has already told him that after he swith the button, they will be rescued and Charlie will die. If Des ran to that run a bit earlier, I think Charlie couldn't lock himself inside and drown. Charlie sacrifices for the others, I feel very proud of him.It is a pity that Charlie dies. Last but not least, if you ask me to give marks to LOST, I will give it full mark!Smile
Mr.Bogart has asked us to pay attention to the flashbacks while watching this TV series . And it does have a lot, such as the moments that Charlie was writing the most unforgettable moments in his life. I think that flashbacks are really powerful and make the audience to understand more. In the book STAR OF KAZAN also has used many flasbacks too.

VANessaKAn

Back to top Go down

Post  joyce Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:43 pm

I think Lost is actually very exciting and the plotline is really fascinating. However, I do not think this is the best ending. People should treasure their lives and Charlie should think about what will happen after he dies. Maybe Claire will feel really upset... If Charlie didn't choose to die, the people will live in the island forever and I don't think that is bad.

Flashbacks can create a picture in the reader's mind and make them feel like going back in time with the character. I think it is really good (esp. in movies) that we can go back in time and feel what the character is feeling.

joyce

Back to top Go down

Post  hingis=] Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:54 pm

=] Lost is a very very very exciting movie and it's touching at the end of the story...i criend at the end =[[
I think that Charlie should not die!!He have claire and arron to take care.he is a hero,he saved the women in the street. Also, he saved all people in the island.A really hero! If i were him, i wont take the place. i would let desmond to go..hehe~Its not fair..he has a very short life.Is a hero always have a short life?? he is really a good friend too!the last few seconds before he die,he wrote about where desmond's girlfriend are.....reallllllly touching=[[
hingis=]
hingis=]

Back to top Go down

Lost! Empty Reply towards LOST

Post  Sibyl Wong Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:03 pm

I think the movie was exciting, the personality of person can be thoroughly show during the movie.
To my opinion, the flash back made a more touching feeling to audience. If someone died for saving others, that is already a very touching and repectable thing.Someone who has been experienced all stages in his/her life, through happiness, anger, sadness and disapointed, I think if that person can still use a positive attitude towards her past and her life, I think that was respectable also.
In LOST, Charlie was the first type of people. But then, as we know, we, human, usually will not easily give up our life( expect for those stupid who would like to kill themselves just because of a little fail). The flashback can show that the person, or I should say, the hero's struggle inside his heart. He don't want to die, but then, after the he has made up his mind, he thought of the most meaningful thing that he has ever face or done in his life, he wanted to make sure that his life has not been wasted, it was a meaningful one. And since he knew he will die, he wanted no regret and maybe this will also make him feel a little bit better.
In the "Star of Kazan", La Roundine, the old lady have been thinking of her life and she has also told Annika what she had thought of. She remembered that she was once only a waitress, once be a famous star and once be the happiest woman who have fell in love like the others. She had been experienced the death of her most beloved man, and poor. I think this is also a kind of flash back for herself. And I think she was satisfied to her life, for she treasured her photo and the jewels so much that we can know that she was happy in that period of time, and from the image the Annika saw in the funeral, I think she has had no regret for her life.
And also, When Annika thought of her conversation with La Roundine, I thik that was also a flash back, the use in here is to show that how importance the place of the old lady was in Annika's heart. She can even think of such a short sentance. She has been saying to the old lady that "the world is still beautiful" but after the old lady died, she regret that sentance, she thought that was wrong, because La Roundine was not here anymore, she thought that her death, especially that she has to be burried in a box, have made the Earth less beautiful and perfect. We can also saw Annika feelings towards somebody, through the flashback.
In a nut shell, the flash back can made a more touching feeling to audience, show the person's struggle insidehis/her heart, his/her attitude towards something and also the feelings, don't you agree!?

Sibyl Wong

Back to top Go down

Post  English Addict - Helen Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:03 pm

Ya, the flasback really made a more touching feeling to the audience, if LOST didn't mention about the five most unforgetable or meaningful moments of Chalie, I don't think that I will have the feeling of sad or maybe just a little of his death. Also, I like the example what Sibyl said about the old lady, La Rondine, she has no regret for her life, as we can see this through the flashback. And the example of Annika's regret after saying the short sentence to the old lady, it shows Annika feelings towards somebody through the flashback, too. Last but not least, Annika's mother, Edeltraut von Tannenberg, she told Annika about her past, I think that it is also a flasback, as this told Annika why she was abondoned.
After this dicussion, I think I really learn more about the flashback and saw that it was really powerful. Hope that we can keep on discussing! ^^
English Addict - Helen
English Addict - Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  marina* Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:40 pm

Hi~~This is Marina. Smile I think Charlie was brave. If I were Charlie, I will choose death,too beacuse I think it was a great opportunity for saving them. I think it is better than the first two time Desmond saw. Moreover, Charlie could make sure that Clare and her baby would be saved at least.I think the flashbacks made the movie more touching because we knew what has happened at the begining. Wink LOST is really great!!
marina*
marina*

Back to top Go down

Post  cherieee Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:25 pm

CHARLIE was very brave, he sacraficed hmself for the women he loved and his friends. The part when all the water came in the tower under water, Charlie could of ran out and closed to door, but afterall Charlie didnt do that because he knew that if he didnt die, his lover, the baby, and all his friends would not be rescued.
Charlie is a hero afterall, and i think there are lots we can learn from him.
cherieee
cherieee

Back to top Go down

Post  3bechiu Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:30 pm

Oh...Charlie was really a brave man, he rescued everyone and let himself die!
This movie is very touching and exciting! If I am Charlie, maybe I may ask to find another way
to rescue all people. After I watched this movie, I learnt to be more generous! Laughing
3bechiu
3bechiu

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Chan Chan Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:37 pm

Before charlie dead, I think that something wiil happen to make him survive or Des will die for him.
What a pity! Sad Charlie was really really really brave.......
Those flashbacks made me understand the whole thing. They are very useful.
affraid
Jessica Chan Chan
Jessica Chan Chan

Back to top Go down

Post  MichelleWoo*:] Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:43 pm

Lost is fantastic. Charlie is very brave as he face his death in order to save the others who lost in the island. He's a HERO. My favourite parts are the conversations between Charile and Claire and the part that Charile die. When I saw the bad guy was lying on the ground with a knife on his chest, I just knew he hasn't die. Bad guys don't die easily. Mad

I really want to know how it beomes, so Mr. Bogart, PLEASE do let us watch till the end next time. tongue

Back to top Go down

Post  cherieee Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:46 pm

When Desmand and Charlie are still on the boat, above the tower thats under water, Desmand wanted to take Charlie's place and go to the under water tower, but Charlie knew, that if Desmand takes his place, and Charlie wont have to die, so his lover, the baby and hs friends would not be rescued. CHARLIE was very brave, he sacraficed hmself for the women he loved, the baby and his friends. The part when all the water came in the tower under water, Charlie could of ran out and closed to door, but afterall Charlie didnt do that because he knew that if he didnt die, his lover, the baby, and all his friends would not be rescued.
Charlie is a hero afterall, and i think there are lots we can learn from him. Charlie could of let Desmand come in and so they can die together, but he didnt do that, because Desmand had already saved him for three times now. Charlie cares about his friendship between him and Desmand.
I think Desmand cares about the friendship between him and Charlie too, i know this because Desmand saved Charlie's live three times, one time, when he knew that the arrow was going to aim at Charlie's throat, and Charlie is going to drown by his own blood and die, Desmans risked his life, and pushed Charlie down the floor, so the arrow wouldn't hit Charlie. If Desmand wasn't fast enough, the arrow could of aimed at Desmand!!
Moreover, Lost is a great movie, and it shows clearly how flashbacks are important to a story, book, movie...imagine this movie without any flashbacks, this story would not be interesting and it would be the same as any other movies. This relates to the story we are reading - The Star of Kazan.
cherieee
cherieee

Back to top Go down

Post  Janice_C Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:47 pm

Charlie's death really touches me a lot, cuz I think that he is not gonna die, and Des. will save him just as before. However, he chose to die for Clare, Aron and all the his friend in the island. He was so brave! In an addition, the flashback was wisely used in the movie and it helps a lot to help me to think inside to story. Overall, LOST is a great movie!
Janice_C
Janice_C

Back to top Go down

Post  peggyme Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:48 pm

First of all, I would like to say that the movie, with the part where that guy saw into the future and saw Charlie getting shot with an arrow is DISGUSTING!! GOSH! It sure creeped me out.

My thoughts of Charlie... I think that he is a very strong characyter in the story, without him the story would become very boring because there wouldn't be any flashbacks for us to see and it wouldn't be as powerful. If I were Charlie, then I would be really scared if someone tells me that he had saved me from dying a lot of times. I was really surprise about how Charlie reacted when Desmond tells him that he is going to be drowned,but he would be saving a lot of people. But if I were him, I would of done that too. This is because if I died and I could save this many people including the ones Il love, and in Charlie's case, it is Claire and the baby. The question that was brought up in class, why didn't Charlie went out of the room when the room started to flood? My answer is that Charlie is scared that everything won't happen the same if he didn't get drowned like that guy told him he saw in the "flahses of future"

The flashbacks were very powerful becauses it reflects Charlie's life. To Charlie, these flashbacks were very important to him becuase they may have changed him. For example, when he was out of hope to be a star and then to hearing his song on the radio, he must have had a emotional rollarcoster...( however you spell that)! Another example is having someone calling him a "hero". This may affect him for the whole life, because when he faces something really bad, like the situation when he decides to "die', that flashback can help him be confident in his decision to save this many people and be a "hero". If these flash backs weren't there, then we wouldn't know this much about Charlie's life and think about other things he is leaving behind and the sacrafices that he is making in order to save the poeple from the airplane crash.

It was really touching when Charlie told Desmond that the ship they were on wasn't Penny's ship. At the moment when he is in such a extreme situatin where he has to die, he still wants to help other people and make them feel good. In my mind, Charlie is truly a hero to everyone that is recued. It seemed that the women he recued from the thief that called him a hero is forshadowing that he is going to once again put his life in danger to save people.

There are similar flashbacks in the Star of Kazan. For example, one of the flash backs is about when Eliie and Sigrid wants to return Annika to the church after the disease is over, then the professors disagree and took her into the family as a servant. This flashback is very powerful becuase it lets the readers know how close the professors and Annika are. Then, this relationship is later proved when Annika's mother decides to take her away to her home and the they all become very emotional. This realationship is very precious to them because Annika has already become a part of their daily life. Annika is a servant, but she is treated like a daughter in the family and she gets the "motherly love" that her mother didnt give her from the professors.
peggyme
peggyme

Back to top Go down

Post  michellelam Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:51 pm

Oh! what a suprising ending , i really thouhgt that CHARLIE won't die! CHARLIE chooe to sacrifice himself at last. I love the used of flashback, that really shows how the characters develop. That was toughing when CHARLIE made his decision to go underwater. He was very brave, if he were me, i think i wont let myself die, so that non of them will be unhappy. That is an incredible movie, I surely will buy the DVD and watch the whole film!

michellelam

Back to top Go down

Lost! Empty Lost

Post  Mr.Bogart Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:48 pm

I am so happy that all of you enjoyed Lost so much. It is really a great series and is so well written. Actually, do you know the director and producers are all very well read? Actually they mention many very famous books hroughout the show. In fact the idea for the show comes from one of my favourite books, which I can't find right now, The Lord of the Flies by William Golding. It is an excellent book. It also mentions books like Mice and Men and The Third Officer, I haven't read that one but might give it a try over the holiday.

Anyway, I am delighted that you have made such great connections to The Star of Kazan. This is the most important things that I wanted for you to do and you did! This is great! Thanks so much for making my job so easy.

I also felt sorry for Charlie. He was a nice character and I guess that is what makes it so difficult to accept. Anyway, I don't condone what he did but I understand his reasoning.
Mr.Bogart
Mr.Bogart
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Melody Ng Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:17 pm

I think that Charlie is a very good guy...... He satisfied himself in order to let other people on the island get rescued......include Claire and Claire's son...... Also, Des is also a good person too. He saved Charlie for many times without any reason (like money and presents). We can say that both Des and Charlie are V.V.V.V......good guys!
Melody Ng
Melody Ng

Back to top Go down

Post  annabelle_bao Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:35 pm

I haven’t watch Lost before because I was not interest with these type of movie, but after we watched it in class I think that it was REALLY great! Very Happy

Charlie should’t die so fast! If I was him, I will try my best to stay alive until the last minute! The scene that Charlie and Desmond in the boat was SO touching! Desmond want to go inside the room to see the TV which can talk with Penny, but Charlie knows that the window will be broke and the room will filled with water. He don’t want two people to die together, he knows that he must die soon and nobody may replace his place. When he wrote the words” Not Penny’s boat” on his hand for Desmond to see, I can feel that Desmond must be so please.

Charlie done so much for Claire and her son, but they left the ring on the bed!! What the shame…. Crying or Very sad

I really want to watch the ending of the Lost, I want to know what will happen to Claire and her son, and why they said Charlie was rescued. Also, what will happen to Desmond! geek
annabelle_bao
annabelle_bao

Back to top Go down

Post  Chloe Audrey Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:37 pm

Once a friend told me that she would only watch Lost if she has nothing to do, so my impression of the television series was not that positive - until I watch it for myself. It really has a very good storyboard that can bring tears to one's eyes. Though I really have to admit that I still think that Charlie was very stupid - he could not improve the situation even when he locked himself in the control room.

It is revealed that flashbacks have a huge impact. It helps create the tension and also let viewers understand more. I always like to watch flashbacks, even when I am a tiny kid, because they usually consist of something interesting.
Chloe Audrey
Chloe Audrey

http://www.wretch.cc/blog/ChloeAudrey

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine_Tong Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:07 pm

I think Charlie is really really brave that he was willing to sacrifice for others. If I were him, I'll find a method that no deaths had caused as well as saving others. The part of the five important things in his life was really touching. In the flashbacks, it shows what person Charlie was, which i think it is a kind of hero-thinking (thinkng of others at the first position, then himself).I appreciate(he was not afraid of death) and also being sad (he was a good person) of his decision. When he knew he was going to die, he didn't afraid, but sat down and think of the meaningful things he had done over his short life. Comparing to the old lady of The Star Of Kazan, she too was not afraid of death, and thought of the happiest moments she had through out her life. Her character was similar to Charlie's, as they both were not afraid of death. Annikia changed her thoughts as the old lady passed away. At the beginning, she thought the world was still beautiful, she found that she was wrong, that things didn't go positively, sadness always exist, she thought if she stayed with her longer, she would be happier, and that's her disapointment.

Jasmine_Tong

Back to top Go down

Post  peggyme Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:46 pm

I"M SO ADDICTED TO LOST NOW!!! Except for the gruesome scene we saw.
A questions for Mr.Bogart >>> Did you make us watch that on purpose so we won't be addicted to LOST as much?
IT DIDN"T WORK IF YOU DID! HA!
peggyme
peggyme

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Bogart Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:51 pm

peggy*chu wrote:I"M SO ADDICTED TO LOST NOW!!! Except for the gruesome scene we saw.
A questions for Mr.Bogart >>> Did you make us watch that on purpose so we won't be addicted to LOST as much?
IT DIDN"T WORK IF YOU DID! HA!

I didn't know what you would think but I am glad that you enjoyed it. The gruesome part isn't that bad is it? It sure does add a lot of suspense which is great. I also like Locke. He is a really interesting character. He is very dynamic and controversial. Anyway, I can't wait for season 4! I want to know what happens too.

There is also a very good episode with Hurley. He can be very funny.
Mr.Bogart
Mr.Bogart
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum