Mr. Bogart's English Class
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you think about the Doulos

5 posters

Go down

What did you think about the Doulos Empty What did you think about the Doulos

Post  Mr.Bogart Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:10 am

What are your opinions on the Doulos Book Fair outing?

Here is their web site if you care to look.

http://www.mvdoulos.org/

Mr. Bogart
Mr.Bogart
Mr.Bogart
Admin

https://bogart.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What did you think about the Doulos Empty Re: What did you think about the Doulos

Post  peggyme Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:24 pm

I'm going to speak the truth here even if it's not very good. I though that the trip to Doulos was not very exciting. There were a lot of things on the boat that was very interesting like the small boats on the ship and the history of the Doulos. But I though the books inside the Doulos wasn't that interesting for me. I liked how they hosted the book fair on the ship and it was for charity, but that's pretty much it. Anyways, it was pretty nice to go on a boat thats like 100 years old!
peggyme
peggyme

Back to top Go down

What did you think about the Doulos Empty Re: What did you think about the Doulos

Post  steff.w. Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:27 am

Seriously, I'm not exactly crazy about it after going there. It was an interesting experience and all but it was just unbearable under that heat. It would have helped a lot if there were at least some fans around. Also, since i'm neither Catholic or Christian or have any religion at all, it was pretty pointless in my opinion to buy one of their many arrays of Bibles (although they did look loads better than the Good News Bible we use at school =p ). I think the Duolos experience would be better suited for Christians/Catholics/priests since most of the stuff there are related to Jesus and God.
PS books weren't that good but i'd give a 4/5 for their frozen yoghurt!
steff.w.
steff.w.

Back to top Go down

What did you think about the Doulos Empty Strange....but true!

Post  Mr.Bogart Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:07 pm

I did too find it strange that there was no mention of their Christian roots. Not that I think that is a problem in that itself but there didn't seem to be any mention of that in their advertisements or in the Young Post. I have to admit that it was a bit misleading.

But it is true that I did enjoy being on such a historic ship and did manage to buy some nice fiction like Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book, Wizard of Oz by Frank Baum, Dubliners by James Joyce, Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy, Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne, Mansfield Park by Jane Austin, and Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Stowe for very reasonable prices.
Mr.Bogart
Mr.Bogart
Admin

https://bogart.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charlottetaylor Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:35 pm

OK! The chairlady has to say something as well I guess!

It was not to everyones liking nor mine as well. It was hot and sticky that day, and no one wanted to go onto a boat with a heavy school bag. It is a bit too christian for most people, but Duolos is a charity book fair, so it was kind of expected. Sorry for no warning. Sad

But on the bright side, I know we all want to read fiction books. I'll be doing a poll on the meeting which is tomorrow, so don't worry. And for the evaluation, please speak up, and be honest.

The boat is going to be decomissioned at the end of the season. So you've all been on a historical boat which will not come back to Hong Kong anymore. Exclamation

charlottetaylor

Back to top Go down

Post  English Addict - Helen Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:41 pm

o... Actually, that's a little bit boring. But it is the first time for me going on to such a big boat!!! That's not worse at all!! What a Face
And some books are also a bit interested, but not very. Anyway, I still got a great experience from that. king queen
English Addict - Helen
English Addict - Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum